All visa applicants must upload a recent photograph to their DS 160 form. Photographs for US visa applications are different than the standard visa and passport photographs that studios typically take. When you are having your pictures taken, make sure the photographer knows that you need an “American size” photograph described on this page. Photographers can review detailed guidelines online at the Department of State’s travel web page. You may also take your own digital photo as long as it meets the requirements.
- The photograph for each visa applicant must be full face.
- The photograph must have been taken within the last six months.
- The photograph must be 2 by 2 inches (roughly 50mm square) with the head centered in the frame.
- The head (measured from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure between 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm) with the eye level between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28mm to 35mm) from the bottom of the photo.
- The photograph must be a full-face view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly.
- The visa applicant should not look down or to either side.
- It is preferable if the ears are shown.
- The face of the visa applicant should cover about 50 percent of the photo area.
- Side or angled views are not accepted.
- The photograph should be in color and must have a white or off-white background. Photographs with dark, busy or printed backgrounds will not be accepted.
- Head coverings and hats are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and even then, may not cover any portion of the visa applicant’s face.
- Sunglasses or other wear which detracts from the face are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
- A visa applicant may not wear any type of traditional facemask or veil that does not permit adequate identification.
- Photographs of military, airline or other personnel wearing hats are not acceptable.
- Photographs of applicants wearing tribal, national costume or other headgear not specifically religious in nature are not acceptable.